Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Back to Blogging

Here are a couple thoughts that I’ve had over what turned into a four-day weekend:

The big event, clearly, was the inauguration, and there are a couple things that have stuck with me about it.

First, is it just me, or have all the white talking heads pretty much decided that racism is over now? Um, that’s not their call. I guess it’s cool having a black President, but I’m more excited about having a smart President. Seriously, he even says “nuclear” correctly, this is thrilling.

Can we not call Obama the 44th President? He’s not, he’s the 43rd President, serving the 44th Presidency. Just because Grover Cleveland served nonconsecutive terms doesn’t make him the 22nd and 24th President. He’s just the 22nd President, and he also had the 24th Presidency. He’s not nearly an important enough President to have screwed up this numbering system so badly, let’s stop double counting him.

The worst thing about this inauguration is that it’s been completely dominating the news. It’s like nothing else is happening. Last week there were stories about methane-spewing organisms on Mars. This week, nothing fun. Well, Obama is in office now, let’s shift our focus back towards outer space. Thanks.

I watched SportsCenter this morning, and have been regretting it ever since. I don’t know who the anchor was, but she was terrible. She managed to screw up the pronunciation of Daniel Carcillo’s last name. Just say what’s there. And I don’t even want to get into how badly she and the other anchor were butchering “Luongo.”

Claude Lemieux played last night, and had a handful of hits and shots in about seven minutes of ice time. Whatever, I don’t think anyone is really expecting much from him in the regular season, but he’s a monster in April and May. Seriously, he scored more goals in the playoffs than he scored in the regular season three times. February 25th should be a good time though, Sharks at Redwings.

Ryan Howard wants $18 million, the Phillies are offering $14 million, and this arbitration hearing could get ugly. He’s going to talk about the ridiculous RBI totals he put up, which is dumb, but it will sway the arbiter. He isn’t worth more than Chase Utley; if San Francisco would give us Matt Cain and Buster Posey for him, I would make that trade in a heartbeat. I’d probably do it just for Cain. I wish I had a baseball team to run.

The kid that sits in the row in front of me has been wearing Ravens stuff pretty consistently this year. Today? Orioles hat. I can’t wait for opening day.

I still have trouble wrapping my head around contracts being represented by the letter K. Why not C? Or even some Greek letter? K is a bad choice.

I want to have solar systems named after me. Lots of them, like how a ton of cities were named after Alexander the Great. I have a plan for that too, and I think it’s going to work. Once it gets further along I’ll disclose more details. It’s brilliant, trust me.

Finally, if you find yourself bored for like ten minutes, look up the text for Daniel Webster’s Second Reply to Hayne, it’s a great speech.

No comments: