Monday, January 26, 2009

Ten Iconic Songs?

Over at his website (via Keith Law’s) Joe Posnanski is trying to reshape the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, by inducting individual songs instead of artists. Towards this end he has put up a list of 50 songs which he is trying to narrow down to the ten most iconic. He isn’t limiting this by only having rock songs; to be eligible for consideration, a song only has to have come out during the Rock era.

So I figured I would put up my ballot. It’s far from perfect, and is heavily influenced by what I actually listen to. Also, I’ve never been a fan of things other than Rock going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; that never really made sense to me, so I put an additional limit on myself. So yeah, here are the ten songs that I voted for:

American Pie, Don McLean
Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd
I Want To Hold Your Hand, The Beatles
Imagine, John Lennon
Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
My Generation, The Who
Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin

No comments: