Monday, June 6, 2011

So, Weiner is a dick after all

I know, I know. Stupid and hackneyed subject. But I'm tired.

In really not-so-shocking news, Anthony Weiner actually did knowingly send his namesake to a woman on Twitter. Whatever, this really isn't that big of a deal, and I'm not convinced it spells the long-term end for Rep. Weiner. Quickly, though, does anyone actually believe the whistleblower's (heh heh) story?

Broussard said she wanted to come forward now out of concerns for her own image as an aspiring nurse, and that of her 3-year-old daughter, should her identity be leaked online.

The fact that her identity would be leaked seems unlikely. Who am I to say that a woman can't protect herself from scrutiny, but doesn't it seem odd that you're stepping into the limelight to avoid stepping into the limelight? Especially when, by my completely un-researched count, America actually has a pretty OK record at keeping the identity of sexual victims quiet? Save for the Tiger Woods affair, I suppose, but a number of those were self-reported, too. Sorry, I rambled. Hardly my point.

What is my point is that she (with an assist from ABC News) is being framed as a victim. Even though she:

participated in risque online chats -- as she has done with other men online -- with the man she presumed to be Weiner.

[exchanged] 'hundreds of messages,' many of a sexual nature.

and that Occasionally while chatting through Facebook, the two would simultaneously use email to exchange photos, she said.

Take note of the repeated usage of "it takes two to tango" words.

And while "she thought she could keep this private" she went to Drudge and Breitbart, 2nd and 3rd in voting to perennial all-star gossip Perez Hilton for the prized Last Person I Would Ever Tell a Secret To Award.

This is a long two-way street, and Broussard threw the brakes on when the opportunity was best. And that's fine. And Weiner made an exceedingly stupid fucking move and definitely acted like a schmuck both as a married man and a representative of the public, but let's not forget that the motivation for this girl to come forward rests in this line:

More than a dozen photos were obtained...and licensed from [Broussard] by ABC News.

And I'm willing to bet the cost of that licensing made all the embarrassment go away.

No comments: